One-Room School To Be Restored by Friends of Brownsville School
Underground Railroad Society of Cass County (URSCC) has recently purchased Brownsville School #1, 20559 Osborn St. in Cassopolis, MI. This Calvin Township one-room schoolhouse was built in the early 1840's, and was integrated from the day it opened, until it closed in 1957, making Brownsville #1 among the longest integrated public school in Michigan, and perhaps the first.
Sunday, January 22, 202—-Fifteen people attended the inaugural meeting of the Friends of Brownsville School. Mike Moroz, URSCC President and Buildings and Grounds Chair presented the history of URSCC’s involvement with Brownsville School and explained restoration contractor Peter Brubaker’s stabilization plan.